Five for Friday Linkup * 7/31


Five for Friday is a weekly teacher linky party where you post five random things from today or this past week on your blog. I'm a day late with this one- better late than never!

FDR's Mansion in Hyde Park, NY

My husband and I took a little day trip to Hyde Park, NY to visit the home of Franklin D. Roosevelt and one of the Vanderbilt mansions. It was beautiful. We took a tour through both homes and it was amazing to see how they lived. Much of FDR's mansion has remained the same since he passed away, since Eleanor Roosevelt never felt quite at home there and moved to her own mansion upon his death to live out the rest of her days. One of the things that impressed me the most- although it is widely known today that FDR was left paralyzed from Polio, when he was president it was kept a secret. He (and those around him) did everything possible to give the impression that he was able to walk. He was determined to not let his challenges stop him from achieving his dreams. It was truly an inspiring trip!

View from Vanderbilt Property in Hyde Park, NYRose Garden at FDR's Mansion in Hyde Park, NY
Statue of FDR & His Bird Collection from His Mansion in NY

 
Enchanted Forest by Johanna Basford

Adult Coloring Book Page

I am LOVING the adult coloring book trend! (It sounds like something dirty, right?!) I'm a classic TYPE A personality, so I'm always looking for new ways to unwind and relax myself. Coloring is such a stress reliever! I highly recommend it. There are many "adult coloring books" out there, but the one I'm currently using is Enchanted by Forest by Johanna Basford. I used Pentel Color Pens with it- they don't bleed through!

    Fresh Basil from My Garden

This is basil. From MY actual garden. Those who know me know that I'm not the most "out-doorsy" person. I appreciate a great garden, but I don't relish the idea of working amongst dirt and worms and bugs. Yikes. But I'm working through it! I've been using the basil to make pesto- which, if you've never tried it- is fabulous. All you need is basil, olive oil, salt, Parmesan cheese, and pine nuts. We've been having it two times a week!


I don't have a picture for this one- just a link. Did you happen to see that poem that is going viral? It was written by a teenager, and it is AMAZING. Apparently it's been around for a few years, but I'm just seeing it now. Click here to read it. What a great message!

Soaps, Body Butter, Lotion, and Bath Bomb from Atlantic Beach Soap Co.

This week I went shopping at my favorite little soap shop- I can't help myself, every time I go there I end up buying a bunch of stuff. I'm a huge fan of Lush, and this store has soaps, body butters, and bath bombs that are comparable! The owner makes these products right in his shop! He used to be a chef, so he used what he learned to create products that smell, look, and feel amazing. Though I wouldn't try tasting them. If you're in NJ, check it out sometime- Atlantic Beach Soap Company in Cranford.

No comments:

Post a Comment