Super Quick {and Neat} Postcards for Students

One of my end of summer traditions is sending postcards to my new students. Kids love getting mail- it makes them feel so special! It does take a bit of time to get them done, but it's so worth it!

After trying year after year, I was FINALLY successful in printing directly onto the postcards! Having an awesome printer now helps quite a bit. Now, I know that typing the message is less charming and personal than writing one by hand. I just don't have time for that. (It might also be because my hand is killing me after handwriting that many postcards one after another. Aaaaand maybe also because printing them decreases the likelihood of my making a mistake when my hand starts to cramp and my eyes start to glaze over).

It took a lot of trial and error. Here are some of the many "errors".
Real Life in First Grade: Yikes! Postcard Mistakes

But I did finally get it!
Real Life in First Grade: Print Directly Onto Postcards for Your Students

In order to do this, I created a 4x6 postcard template in MS Word. 
Grab it for your own use by clicking here. It looks like this... 
Real Life in First Grade: MS Word Template for Printing on Postcards

After editing the text with the student's name and your name, you're ready to print. Load the postcards into your printer (I put a stack of 20 in). I used an HP Envy 4500... this configuration may not work for your printer if you have a different one and you might need to play around with it a little. Make sure you change the student's name each time you print! (You need to print them one at a time if you want them personalized).
Real Life in First Grade: Putting the Postcards into HP Envy 4500 Correctly

Here's the finished product:
Real Life in First Grade: Post Cards Ready for New Students!
 
 If you're really bold, you might try figuring out how to print the address on the lines as well. I wasn't about to go that far. Had to draw the line somewhere.Mailing labels will do the trick.

Just an FYI- you don't need to use regular stamps on postcards. You can get special stamps for post cards that cost less. Find them at the post office. :)

2 comments:

  1. I am going to snitch this template from you! Thanks for this information and I will definitely use this! Thanks a bunch and by the way I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this idea! It's a simple gesture but it would be a novelty to the students. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete